Tuesday, November 11, 2008

BRAT

At around the 1.5-2 year mark of living somewhere I always tend to become very unhappy. I'm afraid I will never be happy anywhere. A guy in Ocean Beach once told me how beautiful I was and that he really hoped I found what I was looking for. Looking for? What did he mean? I tried to ask him, and he couldn't explain my disposition. We can obviously find many flaws with ourselves, but this one in particular gets me. If I leave Columbus it will be my 10th move. Will I move again shortly after? Am I chasing something? Nothing? Am I afraid of being abandoned? If I leave first, I can never be left. So, I will leave you first. Is this a game I play? bed-head

"I have lost all sense of home, having moved about so much. It means to me now — only that place where the books are kept." -John Steinbeck


brats
+Regardless of race, religion, nationality, or gender, brats might identify more with other highly mobile children than with non-mobile ones.
+Some can struggle to develop and maintain deep, lasting relationships, and can feel like outsiders to normal culture.
+Their transitory lifestyle can hinder potential for constructing concrete relationships with people and developing emotional attachments to specific places, which may later develop into psychologically developmental disorders.
+They may not develop strong relations with people or places, but can form strong connections with the communities in which they find themselves.
+They grow up in communities that actively condemn racist comments. The issue of race diminishes among brats. The community is normally a stronger bond than the differences of race.
+Because they are constantly making new friends to replace the ones that they have lost, they are often more outgoing and independent. Eighty percent of Brats claim that they can relate to anyone, regardless of differences such as race, ethnicity, religion, or nationality.
+Rather than develop problem-solving skills, there is a temptation to simply leave a problem without resolving it. If a person does not like somebody or gets into a fight, they know that in a few years somebody will move and the problem will disappear.
+When a parent is stationed without his family, the children experience the same emotions as children of divorced parents. In addition to the effects of the divorce, brats have additional concerns. When a family member is sent away, the family does not always know where they are going or when (or if) they will return.

2 comments:

jenna said...

i weally want you to be happy :(

p.s. the word verification for this is "twasts."
that is almost twats.
ew.

Unknown said...

haha thanks jenna
-twisty twats