Sunday, December 7, 2008

fitness





Equinox Fitness is a fitness gym geared towards the upper crust of society with montly dues from $120-$170 a month. Their gyms are all located in major metropolitan cities in the US, with two special clubs in New York and California that cost and offer more. In January 2008, the "What's Your After?" advertising campaign, shot by fashion photographer Ellen von Unwerth, was launched appearing in Vanity Fair, US Weekly, the New York Post, and LA Times.

The ad campaign created a lot of controversy upon its release. I especially have a problem with the third ad, where one woman has achieved "happiness" by working out, and the other women who have resorted to "cheating" or plastic surgery, are still unhappy. It's not even realistic. If I worked out I'd get muscles, not twig arms. The entire campaign is so shallow, it's humorous. I wonder if people take the time to pick apart what these ads are really saying. We are constantly being impeded by images loaded with meaning. They were all carefully constructed.

I respond better to the Nike ads that say real is beautiful. They're motivating, honest, and inspiring. I want to own my body.

Nike just published a survey of 10,000 young European women confirming what we've always known: playing sport improves your self-esteem, perception of success, pride, sex drive and self image. On average, half the women quizzed were involved in sport, with Germany boasting the most active young women, with 67% of the participants involved in sport, while Turkey had the least at just 41%. But it's not just the obvious physical benefits that have girls stoked on sport - the survey also found sport makes women stronger emotionally. Of those involved in sport, 41% said they could 'conquer the world', 77% have more confidence in themselves, 77% feel successful, 85% feel self pride, while 62% have raised self esteem. Plus, 68 per cent of those ladies involved in sport, said that sport had an even bigger positive impact on their lives - in their career, education, social lives and relationships.

I've finally fallen out of my workout frenzy as a collegiate athlete. I am retired! Alas, I still find it important to keep up my physical activity. The sooner you start a routine, the easier it is to adapt that lifestyle permently. An active lifestyle for life. I've had a good year off.









1 comment:

Kate Hutson said...

so..the watercolor in those nike ads? amazing. go read my blog post...SO WEIRD!!!!!!!