Sunday, March 9, 2008

Franny and Zooey


1. J.D. Salinger makes me want to be in his books.
2. I am sad I hadn't read this one til just now.
3. I believe in "doing it for the fat lady". Sometimes there's just no one else to do it for, and yes you should do it for yourself, but also for the fat lady. dew it.

4. UNRELATED, but related... I went to a Columbus Blue Jackets Hockey game today. SO FUN. We won vs. Tampa. I wish games weren't so expensive because I would go more. maybe. BUT it just reminds me of this quote a coach told me back when I was swimming that sometimes you gotta go out there and swim for the person or kid who has maybe never been to a swim meet before...AND MAKE THEM A FAN. Inspire someone. That's how I felt at the Blue Jackets game, it was so cool! It totally made me a fan, of even just the sport. That's why you gotta do it for the FAT LADY. I personally appreciate seeing or meeting people with passion for what they do. That is inspiring.

5. TOTALLY UNRELATED...Oprah's new show, The Big Give totally makes me cry.

6. LOOSELY RELATED... Zooey Deschanel, the indie actress was named for Franny's older brother Zooey Glass in J.D. Salingers novel.

You have the right to work, but for the work's sake only. You have no right to the fruits of work. Desire for the fruits of work must never be your motive in working. Never give way to laziness, either.
Perform every action with your heart fixed on the Supreme Lord. Renounce attachment to the fruits. Be even-tempered in success and failure; for it is this evenness of temper which is meant by yoga.
Work done with anxiety about results is far inferior to work done without such anxiety, in the calm of self-surrender. Seek refuge n the knowledge of Brahman. They who work selfishly for results are miserable. -- "Bhagavad Gita."

It loved to happen. --Marcus Aurelius.

O snail
Climb Mount Fugi,
But slowly, slowly! --Issa.


God instructs the heart, not by ideas but by pains and contradictions --De Caussade.

"Sir, we ought to teach the people that they are doing wrong in worshipping the images and pictures in the temple."
Ramakrishna: "That's the way with you Calcutta people: you want to teach and preach. You want to give millions when you are beggars yourselves . . . Do you think God does not know that he is being worshipped in the images and pictures? If a worshipper should make a mistake, do you not think God will know his intent?" --"The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna."

The happiness of being with people. --Kafka

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

franny and zoooeyyyyyy <333333 i love it more than words can describe! love your blog too! and you! <33 how do i add you as one of my faves?

Unknown said...

yey! it's under editing or something....