Thursday, February 12, 2009

beautiful losers

Man, I can not even begin to explain the influence some of these artists have had on me. Shepard Fairey has inspired me and reinforced my value of independent thought. Seeing this documentary tonight was rad. It gave me insight to the artists lives and beginnings, but I couldn't help but miss home. I was very fortunate to grow up where so much independent art was accesible and even common. I actually have memories associated with a lot of the artwork and artists in the film. In high school I used to make a point to visit a local surf/skate shop to pick up a free publication that always featured these artists. I still have most of my copies, but they're pretty much cut to shreds for the pictures. My inspiration journals from when I was 15 is full of this artwork torn out of Happy. My dorm room when I was just 17, only seventeen, I posted up all these pictures I had saved for so long. I remember putting that OBEY sticker on my car when I got my license, that's still there. I felt like I subscribed more to a belief in art and independent thought than I did any other subculture. I remember watching Harmony Korine movies in the basement of the library in Newark, Delaware when I felt all alone. Even Jenna gave me an OBEY ring for my 21st birthday. These artists really inspired me to be who I was. It made me think that my art didn't have to be hyper-realistic or even good, as long as it meant something to me, because others will get it, just by me staying true to myself.


“Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.” —MLK
I should have posted Fairey's new artwork on MLK day last month, but I never got 'round to it. He's really doing well, especially with all of Obama's campaign art, minus his recent arrest.

No comments: